Thursday, November 18, 2021

Mick Rock - beyond the Velvet Rope RIP


"You want to shock people with a bit of mystery and beauty. That’s my favorite kind of shocking." - Mick Rock




Mick Rock said "A soul is a little more difficult to get out. People’s souls are very mysterious — but the aura is not. I want that certain kind of mystical energy." 

My punk rock generation might have thought he changed his name and got lucky but actually that was his real name and rock by name, rock by nature. He did say he didnt want to be an academic cos that's what his parents wanted him to be, but nevertheless he was in fact educated at Emanuel School and London and then Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. Yes, that Cambridge University! He graduated with a degree in Medieval and Modern Languages.  

While at Cambridge he developed an interest in 19th Century Romantic poetry - principally the works of Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Shelley and Byron. 

Is it any wonder then that he left college and saw the romantics and poets amongst the rock stars?










 






Every record I love has a photograph he took on it. Transformer is one example. 

 

I remember lining up to get in to a private view on the Bowery in November. We were lucky it was a warm night but I dont think I've ever been to a more fun opening (Tim Broun took me, that has a lot to do with it of course) but I recall everyone happy and laughing on the pavement outside afterwards, CBGBs steps away, and I remember the photograph of Bowie and Ronson in the windows vividly. And the music does seem to play ... wait ... Since he was a Transformer, let's go there ... 



No comments:

Post a Comment